BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Total Shopping Diet [Oy!]

Maybe having my desk right next to my closet is a good thing. 

This is the view from where I sit:

And that's not including the jeans and cardigans on the bookshelf or everything that's in drawers or in piles around my room.  Or the shoes lining that wall of my closet.  Or the clothes stashed away in my basement.

Anyway, math-challenged me is viewing it this way:
  • I don't really go out anymore but should I chose to I have enough clothes for that.  I haven't even really been buying going out clothes knowing that I rarely do so I have a grip on that aspect of purchasing.
  • As of right now my job can only find one day a week for me to work plus we have to wear black and white. I figure summer classes start June 21 so hopefully I will move the first part of June. I'll only work this job about ten more times so I'm covered there. *Hopefully* I'm able to find a second job but another job will either be business casual (which I'm also covered) or a uniform (which means I won't be needing "work" clothes)
  • I do have class four days a week, one day (Thursday) I work two hours after my class ends so I'll most likely wear an outfit that I can wear to work that day. I'll have three days a week to wear other outfits.  Ten weeks of class means only 30 outfits...which I definitely have covered.  And school/ comfy yet cute clothes are the bulk of what I have been purchasing.  

But if I have plenty to wear, why am I still buying?  Good question Keisha.  I feel like I've been really successful "shopping my stash" so why not "shop my closet" as well?

To those of you unfamiliar with "stash shopping" it's a makeup thing.  For those of us that own entirely too much makeup and seem to keep buying the same shade over and over it is actually helpful.  Rules vary.  I know people that will not purchase ANYTHING at all (also known as a "no-buy") and I know people that just won't buy anything that they have something similar to.  With mine I went pretty cold turkey (didn't really purchase makeup for a good two months) in an effort to get to know what I own a little bit better and improve some of my techniques but recently I've been adding things that I consider staples (NARS Ophelia gloss to warm up cooler pink lippies a bit for example)

I'm going to do the same with clothing.  I don't absolutely need those shorts that I have on my Forever 21 wishlist.  I'm sure I don't need any of the rompers or skirts either. So....

2 rules:
  1. If I ABSOLUTELY need something in order to wear a piece I can buy it.  But no more of this "Oh that floral shirt is pretty! MINE!" attitude.
  2. If I don't need something but it would be considered a staple piece (for example the grey boyfriend blazer I am purchasing and a white and black one that I am on the hunt for) I MUST be able to wear it with five complete outfits that I already own.
On the note of accessories, I'm just going to exercise a little bit more restraint.  Accessories aren't that expensive and they don't take up a whole lot of space. Plus purchasing a necklace here and a ring there will allow me to get my "shopaholic" out without adding a lot of bulk to my wardrobe.

I'm torturing myself like this mostly because I don't feel like moving with a lot of stuff.  I also don't know how much space I'll have in my closet sooooo..... yea. Let's see how this goes!

~Keisha Joy



0 comments: